Tradition since 1570
Since 1570, the Schwarzer Adler has been open for guests from all over the world. Built around 1550 by the Knights of St. John, the “Schwarzer Adler” was a typical Tirolean inn which was highly valued as a stopover for travellers and merchants. Build from the stones of the ruin “Arlen” – the castle where the founder of the brotherhood of St. Christoph Heinrich Findelkind from Kempten lived – the Schwarzer Adler was a well-known meeting place. The frescoes on the facade of the house are an expression of regional culture and witnesses of an eventful past.
We, the family Tschol, have been hosts of the Schwarzer Adler for 130 years. We have witnessed St. Anton’s beginnings as a winter sports mecca. Together with our team we have constantly expanded and improved our offer in order to enable our guests relaxing and active holidays at the Arlberg. Our home has always been a place where people from all over the world sozialize and enjoy the good things in life.
The frescoes on the facade of our house are an evidence of the eventful history of the Schwarzer Adler. Whether as an inn for stopovers during the arduous journey over the Arlberg or as accommodation for the large number of workers during the construction of the Arlberg tunnel, our house was always keeping up with the times. But the Schwarzer Adler also had tough times, like the opening of railway traffic which resulted in a collapse of wagon transit. This did not prevent Vinzenz Tschol from acquiring the Schwarzer Adler on 4 May 1885 and continue running it as an inn. The Schwarzer Adler can look back on nearly 450 years of unbroken tradition.
Home & meeting point
Built as a typical Tirolean inn for travellers and merchants the “Schwarzer Adler” was granted license by empress Maria Theresia. Since then our house has been a meeting place for people from all over the world. Every generation has expanded the house and adapted to keep up with time. For us, the Schwarzer Adler is our home – and we are sure you will soon feel at home with us!